Information for families

Information for families

Why is someone from School-Home Support (SHS) trying to contact me?

An SHS practitioner may be trying to get in touch with you because someone at your child’s school or another professional has asked them to speak to you about how your child is getting on at school or home. The practitioner will want to meet with you to discuss this and see what they can do to support you and your family.

Can I ask for help myself?

Yes, if there is an SHS practitioner in your school you can ask them for help. They will often be at the school gates in the morning or will hold drop-in sessions that you can attend. Please do get in touch with them as they will be happy to help!

Some of our practitioners can only take cases that are referred to them by the council, but if there is one at your child’s school, you can ask for help.

What help can I get from an SHS Practitioner?

An SHS practitioner is there to support your family so that your children can do their best at school and to support your whole family with any issues you are facing. This could include problems with housing, concerns about money or helping with family relationships. They will listen to you so that they understand any difficulties you have and then work with you to get a plan to tackle this together. The plan might include:

  • Providing support with any housing or benefits issues you are having
  • Helping to improve family relationships and parenting skills
  • Attending classes or groups that the practitioner runs
  • Help you to work more closely with other staff at school including your children’s teachers
  • Help you access other services that might be useful for the family
  • Provide support to your children in school
  • Provide financial support through the SHS Welfare Fund to buy practical items such as school uniforms, pay travel costs or buy essential items such as cookers or washing machines

How long does the support last?

You can get support for as long as you need it. We work with you to give you the information and skills you need to ensure your children can make the most out of their time at school and that all the family are back on track.

What should I do if I have a complaint?

We work hard to provide you with a really good service, but if you are unhappy with anything that has happened, you should let us know so that we can make sure it doesn’t happen again. You can make a complaint directly to us using the contact information below, or if you would prefer you can also tell a member of staff at the school or local authority who will act upon it.


Can you spare 30 seconds to give your thoughts on the SHS website?