School-Home Support is a dynamic charity working to ensure every child is in school ready to learn. For over 30 years it has been working with children and young people struggling to stay in school due to a wide range of complex issues. We get children and young people back in school ready to learn, whatever it takes.
SHS Practitioner – based in Islington: St Mary’s Church of England Primary School, St John’s Upper Holloway CE Primary School and Ashmount Primary
Full time, 5 days a week (term time only)
Fixed term contract for 1 year initially
Salary range starting from: £20,574 pa
This is an opportunity to support children and families in Islington to improve attendance, aspirations and welfare. The practitioner will work with pupils across three Islington primary schools who have issues with attendance and punctuality. The practitioner will engage pupils and their families to identify and resolve issues affecting pupil’s attendance. The role will include working with the whole family to tackle issues which are causing poor attendance and behaviour, helping parents to become more engaged with their child’s learning and engaging parents in family learning.
Successful candidates will have experience working in a school environment, using SIMS to track and report on attendance and strong abilities in engaging challenging children and their parents. Therefore experience of SIMS essential. This is an exciting opportunity to join one of our established teams.
Duties of the role:
- Engage with targeted families, deliver practical and emotional support
- Analyse attendance data and identify referrals in liaison with schools
- Undertake work supporting improved attendance across the school
- Engage parents in the playground, raising profile and awareness of support available
- Encourage parental engagement in children’s learning
- Support wider parental engagement in school
- Liaise and signpost with other services where appropriate
- Support the school’s safeguarding processes
- Provide termly reports for funding partners, schools and SHS.
- Conduct home visits and welfare checks where necessary
This post is open to job sharing. For an informal chat, please contact Seonaid Weightman on 0207 426 5000
Closing date for applications is Midnight Sunday 23rd June 2019
1st stage interviews to be the week commencing: Thursday 27th June 2019
2nd stage interviews at the school: Thursday 4th July 2019
Please see job description and person specifications for full details of the post.
School-Home Support takes very seriously the duty of care to safeguard and promote the welfare of children and is committed to ensuring that our safeguarding practice reflects statutory responsibilities, government guidance and complies with best practice. Our safeguarding policy recognises that the welfare and interests of children are paramount in all circumstances. The role above is subject to an Enhanced DBS Check.
For more information and to apply, please visit: http://www.schoolhomesupport.org.uk/about-us/jobs/